04 Apr Savoury Porridge
Savoury Shiitake Porridge
Immune Supporting Savoury Porridge
- 50 g Rolled Oats
- 200 ml Vegetable Stock
- 50 g Shiitake Mushrooms (fresh)
- 2 Handfuls Spinach
- 1 tbsp Sunflower Seeds
- Bring the stock to the boil in a pan then add the oats.
- Simmer until the liquid has been absorbed (add a little water if it looks a little dry) stirring occasionally.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and quickly stir fry the mushrooms.
- Add the spinach, put a lid on and turn the heat right down. Lease for a couple of minutes to wilt down.
- Top the cooked oats with the mushrooms and spinach and scatter the sunflower seeds on top.
Porridge need not be sweet – start your day with a bowl full of immune supporting oats. The polysaccharides, more notably b-Glucans, in the Shiitake mushrooms and the oats stimulate and trigger immunological responses. Spinach is high in vitamin A and C which are both crucial nutrients for immune health. I used fresh shiitake mushrooms but dried work just as well. Just rehydrate them acording to the packet instructions in advance.