28 Apr Aubergine and Mushroom Curry
Aubergine and Mushroom Curry
Simple, tasty and nourishing midweek curry.
- 1 Large Aubergine
- 1 Onion
- 500 g Fresh Mushrooms (any variety)
- 4 tbsp Red Curry Paste
- 400 g Tin/packet cooked lentils
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Fresh Ginger
- 1 tin Coconut Milk
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 180º and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Dice aubergine into 1cm cubes and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes turning the aubergine halfway.
- Slice the onion thinly and add to a heavy-bottomed pan with a little olive oil. cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat before adding the grated ginger and crushed garlic. cook for a further minute stirring regularly to prevent the ginger sticking.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes stirring regularly.
- Add the curry paste and stir well to coat before adding the coconut milk and half a tin of water. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the aubergine from the oven and add them to the mushrooms, along with the lentils. Add the juice of half a lime and any season to taste.
- Serve as it is or with some brown rice.
This quick midweek curry is packed full of vegetables and fibre. The aubergine provides antioxidants including cell protecting nasunin. Lentils are an excellent plant based source of protein, a fantastic source of fibre as well as B vitamins and minerals. Our gut microbiome loves fibre and when our gut is happy the rest of the body follows. Garlic and ginger both have anti-viral properties and the mushrooms are a good source of selenium, vital for a balanced immune system. My husband claims to hate aubergine but has wolfed a second portion of this curry with gusto so it must be good!