05 May Aubergine & Lentil Lasagne
Lentil & Aubergine Lasagne
Vegetarian, wheat free alternative to lasagne.
Servings: 4 people
- 3 Aubergine sliced lengthways thinly
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 pack Pre cooked puy lentils
- 1 Courgette diced small
- 1 large Carrot diced small
- 250 g Mushrooms quartered
- 400 ml Passata
- 1 Onion diced small
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 clove Garlic crushed
- 1 balls Mozzarella cut into chunks
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200º / 180º fan / Gas 5
- Line 2 baking sheets with greaseproof paper
- Slice the aubergine thinly lengthways then score half way through in a criss-cross. Lay each slice on a baking tray and brush one side with a little olive oil (it will soak it up very quickly). Season with a little salt and pepper then pop into the oven for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and beginning to crisp at the edges.
- Meanwhile make the lentil sauce. In a deep frying pan gently fry the diced onion in a little olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the diced carrot, garlic and courgette and fry for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and fry for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the packet of precooked lentils, the tomato puree and passata. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat right down and leave to simmer until the aubergine is ready to come out of the oven.
- In a deep oven proof dish place a layer of the aubergine slices. Tip this with one third of the lentil mixture and a quarter of the diced mozzarella. Then add another layer of aubergine, sauce and mozzarella and then a third finishing with a layer of aubergine and the last of the mozzarella.
- Pop back in the oven for 20-30 minutes until bubbling and golden brown.
- Serve with a green salad.
This dish is perfect if you are trying to avoid wheat or gluten or just because you want to get extra vegetables into your diet. Even my husband who claims he hates aubergine loves this dish (which just goes to show he doesn't hate it after all)!