25 Mar Emergency Bread
A versatile, no prove, any flour bread.
- Baking Sheet
- 250 g strong bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 7 g instant yeast
- 150 ml warm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame or poppy seeds
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl combine the flour, salt, sugar and yeast
- In a measuring jug combine the water and oil
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour the oil and water in.
- Using a knife mix the ingredients together until a dough is formed. You might need to use your hands to gather up the loose bits.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and kneed for 5-10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. If you are using plain flour you will need to knead the dough for longer than if using strong bread flour.
- Split the dough into 8 pieces and roll into balls.
- Form a flower shape on a piece of baking parchment on a baking tray. Make sure each piece of dough is touching.
- Brush a little beaten egg over the dough and sprinkle on your seeds.
- Put the tray into a COLD oven. Shut the door and turn the heat up to maximum.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the bread has risen and is golden brown.
Strong bread flour is best when making bread but managing to get your hands on any flour at all during lockdown is an achievement in itself so feel free to use plain flour. You may just need to knead the dough for a little longer to release the gluten. White, brown or granary is all delicious and this bread rarely has time to cool before my children demolish it!