07 Apr Orange Vegetable Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Orange Veg Mac 'n' Cheese
Twist on a family favourite to help get more vegetables into everyone!
- 500 g Orange Root Veg (butternut squash/sweet potato/carrots)
- 75 g Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- 5 tbsp Milk (dairy or plant)
- 400 g Wholemeal Pasta (or GF alternative)
- 250 g Green Vegetables (broccoli/spinach/peas/kale)
- Peel and dice your orange vegetables. Put them into a pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer until soft.
- Bring another pan of water to the boil, add a little salt and then add the pasta. Cook for 8 minutes then add your green vegetables and cook for a further 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Grate the cheese and set aside.
- Drain your cooked orange vegetables and put into a food processor (or a bowl if using a stick blender or potato masher). Add the milk and two-thirds of the cheese and blitz/mash until smooth.
- Put the cooked pasta and green vegetables into an ovenproof dish. Pour the cheesy vegetable sauce over the top and mix well.
- Scatter the remaining cheese over the top and pop into the over or under a grill for 5-10 minutes until the top is golden brown.
This sauce is a simple way to increase the quantity of vegetables in a comforting family favourite meal. Easier than making a flour based white sauce and far more nutritious. Orange root vegetables are packed full of vitamin A and C - both crucial for our health and immunity. Even my vegetable dodging children love this dish and can cook it themselves too - double win.