04 Feb Perfect Pizza
Healthy Pizza for the whole family
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 500 g passata or tinned chopped tomatoes
- 300 g strong wholemeal bread flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 15 g dried yeast
- 200 ml warm water
- 1 ball mozzarella cheese
- favourite pizza toppings
- First make your sauce. Peel and chop the onion as small as you can (you might want to wear goggles to stop your eyes watering).
- Peel the cloves of garlic and either crush using a garlic press or grate - mind your fingers!
- Heat a little olive oil in a sauce pan over a medium heat and add the onions and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes until softened, stirring occaisionally . Add the tomato passata and 1 tsp dried mixed herbs. Stir again.
- Bring to the boil (big bubbles) then turn the heat down and simmer (little bubbles) with a lid on while you make you dough.
- Now make your pizza dough. Mix together the flour, yeast and salt.
- Add the water and mix with a knife until a soft dough is formed.
- Tip out onto floured counter, cover your hands in flour and knead for at least 5 mins until smooth and stretchy.
- Split the dough into 2 pieces. Roll out into 2 rough circles then put on greaseproof paper on baking tray (if you only wnat to use one base the other pne can be frozen at this stage).
- Spread the tomato sauce over the base going right to the edges.
- Add your toppings and then add the cheese.
- Bake in oven at 180 degrees (ask a grown up to help) for 15 minutes!
Making your pizza from scratch means you control what you put into it and onto it. Shop bought pizza are often full of hidden nasties including sugar, vegetable oils and lots of salt, all of which when eaten regularly can cause damage to our health.