27 Mar Wild Garlic Pesto
Wild Garlic Pesto
- Food Processor
- 200 g Wild Garlic
- 50 g Toasted Pine Nuts
- 50 g Parmesan Cheese (grated)
- Olive Oil
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Wash the wild garlic well then roughly chop and put into a food processor. Blitz for a minute.
- Put the pine nuts into a dry frying pan and toast over a low heat stirring often until golden brown. Add into the food processor and blitz again.
- Next, add the parmesan and blitz again.
- Now add the lemon juice and salt and a little olive oil. Blitz then check the texture and if too thick add a little more oil. Continue until desired consistency is reached. It should be smoothish but not runny
- Served mixed through pasta, or spread on fish or as a dip. My children like it mixed with a little cream cheese with pasta. Freezes well too - use an ice cube tray to portion.
Wild Garlic is everywhere in Sussex at this time of year and easily foraged. It is delicious and packed full of amazing nutrients. Medicinally speaking it can be considered a superfood and contains a vast spectrum of anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. Wild garlic is a member of the allium family and contains allicin which is responsible for the smell. It is a natural antibiotic and helps fight off virus' - even more reason to eat it! Studies have also shown it to regulate blood sugar levels and helps to lower blood pressure so get it while you can and make it part of your diet. If you dont have a food processor this can easily be made using a pestle and mortar - it just takes a bit more time and effort.