Baked Turmeric and Wild Garlic Vegetable Cakes
Easy to make from whatever root vegetables you have in your fridge.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
- 500 g Grated Root Veg (carrots, parsnip, sweet potato, Jerusalem artichoke all work well)
- 1 Onion or Leek (finely diced/sliced)
- 1 thumb Fresh Ginger (grated)
- 50 g Gram (chickpea) flour
- 1 handful Wild Garlic (optional)
- 1 tbsp Chopped herbs (I used coriander but use what you have)
- 3 tbsp Live natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cucumber (deseeded and chopped small)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
Grate the vegetables into a large bowl
Add the diced onion, ginger and wild garlic (if using)
Sprinkle the salt over the top and using your hands massage it through the vegetables for a couple of minutes then set aside for 5 minutes. The salt will start to release the water from the vegetables.
After 5 minutes give the vegetables another good mix with your hands then add the gram flour and turmeric. Mix well again and set aside for a further 5 minutes.
Take a small handful of the mixture and roll it into a ball. Place it on a baking tray lined with baking paper and gently press down to make a patty. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
Bake in the oven for 10-15 mins at 180 degrees. Once golden brown turn them over carefully and bake for a further 5 minutes.
Mix the yoghurt with the chopped cucumber and drizzle with the olive oil.
Serve the vegetable cakes hot with the yoghurt to dip into. Perfect as a starter, snack, or light lunch.